What better way to ease the pain of saying good-bye to summer than with an exciting trip on the horizon? In this fall’s eclectic installment of our “Travel Guide
Roundup,” you’ll find walking, hiking, and biking guides along-
side terrific stay-at-home travel titles.
America’s Most Haunted Hotels: Checking In with
Uninvited Guests. By Joan Davis Whitmer. Llewelyn, $16.99
Whitmer and her husband checked out some of the most
haunted places to stay in the U.S. Whether it was so that readers
don’t have to, or so that they know which ones to visit first, will
be up to them!
The Best Things in Life Are Free: The Ultimate Money-Saving
Travel Guide. Lonely Planet, $22.99 (9781760340629).
Divided by region (Africa, Asia, Europe, North America,
South America, and Oceania), this hardback contains the best-
value sights and experiences in more than 60 cities.
The Brooklyn Nobody Knows: An Urban Walking Guide. By
William B. Helmreich. Princeton, $24.95 (9780691166827).
Both a sit-and-read title and one to consult on the go, Helm-
reich’s guide is chock-full of Brooklyn-insider details from the
author’s own extensive walking explorations. It’s the first of five
planned volumes, one for each New York City borough.
Dublin Strolls: Exploring Dublin’s Architectural Treasures. By
Gregory Bracken and Audrey Bracken. DuFour/Collins, $21
Illustrated with maps and architectural drawings, this con-
veniently sized guide contains more than 10 well-organized
Dublin walking tours, complete with time estimates.
Epic Bike Rides of the World. Lonely Planet, $35
For biking beginners to advanced cyclists, this illustration-
heavy hardcover volume offers 200 rides in Europe, Patagonia,
Tasmania, the wilds of the U.S., and
Eyewitness Travel Guides (DK)
• Costa Rica. $25 (9781465441157).
• Jerusalem, Israel, Petra and Sinai.
• Myanmar (Burma). $25
• Russia. $25 (9781465441331).
• Sri Lanka. $25 (9781465441164).
• Thailand. $25 (9781465441300).
These perennial favorites are easy to
tote and full of colorful photographs.
Falcon Guides (Rowman & Littlefield)
Best Easy Day Hikes
• Death Valley National Park. $12.95 (9781493016525).
• The Four Corners. $12.95 (9781493026609).
Best Bike Rides
• Connecticut. $22.95
• Orange County, California. $24.95
• Portland, Oregon. $21.95
Active travelers can have trip-plan-
ning tips, along with maps, directional
cues, and difficulty ratings, all in one
Fodor’s Essential Series (Random)
• Australia. $24.99
• Caribbean. $24.99
• Europe. $24.99 (9780147546562).
• Hawaii. $24.99 (9781101879924).
• Ireland. $24.99 (9781101880074).
• New Zealand. $24.99 (9781101879887).
• Spain. $25.99 (9781101880142).
Be sure to update collections with the latest new editions in
this always-popular series.
Globe Pequot Guides (Rowman & Littlefield)
• Alexandria, Virginia. $12.95 (9781493017980).
• Charleston, South Carolina. $12.95 (9781493023639).
Readers can step through time with these guides, which in-
clude time lines and archival maps and photos.
• Oregon. $14.95 (9781493022533).
• Washington. $14.95 (9781493022557).
Maps, color photos, and tips pepper these guides to biking in
the Pacific Northwest.
Interlink Guides (Interlink)
• Frankfurt: A Cultural Guide. $17 (9781566560825).
• The Good Hotel Guide: Great Britain and Ireland, 2017.
• Havana: A Cultural History. $15 (9781566564199).
• Only in Edinburgh. $22.95 (9783950421804).
• Venice: A Cultural History. $15 (9781566563697).
Interlink’s guides are expertly written and perfect for curious
Travel Guide Roundup
BY ANNIE BOSTROM